It’s been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But it can also be very tough, especially for busy moms, to come up with a delicious and nutritious breakfast because of time constraints.
I know how tough it is to cook breakfast meals that my children and husband would finish. My husband is always in a rush, so I have to serve a dish that he can quickly consume.
One quick, healthy and delicious breakfast that I usually prepare for them is chocolate pudding with chia seeds and blueberries. Continue reading to learn how to prepare it.
Is Pudding an Ideal Breakfast?
It’s inevitable that you would ask this question—is pudding a good breakfast to begin your day? Can you freeze pudding but still keep its flavor?
Well, pudding is actually one of those versatile foods. Just like cornbread, it can be served for breakfast or snack.
It’s also one of those few foods ideals for people who a light but nutritious breakfast. In a study conducted experts from Tel Aviv University, it was revealed that dieters who incorporated pudding in their breakfast were able to lose an average of 37 pounds during an eight-month period.
Chia Seeds and Blueberries for Energy Boost
Moreover, this chocolate pudding recipe I am sharing with you incorporates two foods that are known to boost energy— chia seeds and blueberries.
Chia seeds may be small but don’t underestimate its nutritional profile. Chia seeds can boost your energy so that you would have enough vigor to last the day.
In fact, the Tarahumara tribe of Mexico has been profiled to run up to 100 miles or more. Do you want to know their secret? Chia seeds! This was chronicled in the 2009 bestseller “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall.
Blueberries can also boost your energy levels through the following ways:
- Reduction of oxidant stress, which can prevent an individual from working out at a longer period
- Promoting good function of the immune system by stopping free radical build-up. In turn, it helps the body recover from stress and injuries at a faster rate.
- Increasing vitamin C levels in the body. Perhaps the most popular antioxidant, vitamin C not only boosts your energy but also strengthens the immune system and heals the body from the many harmful effects of stress. A cup of blueberries already has 25 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C.
Chia Seeds Chocolate Pudding and Blueberries Recipe
Now let’s go to the recipe itself. As I have mentioned earlier, this is so simple and easy to prepare that you would only need 15 minutes for preparation.
You will also need a few ingredients (just six!) but end up with a meal that’s perfect for breakfast or snack. It’s also very versatile, meaning you can change ingredients if you don’t have one. For example, you can add vanilla if you don’t have cocoa or cacao powder in the pantry.
You also don’t have to worry if you don’t have a right-on-the-budget-blender at home. Simply leave the pudding unblended.
This recipe is not only versatile but also very healthy. Aside from being gluten-free, it is also appropriate for people following a vegan diet. It’s also naturally sweetened.
This recipe makes four servings. It’s so easy to do that you should be done with it in 5 minutes.
- 1/3 cup of chia seeds
- Quarter cup of cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Two to five tablespoons of maple syrup
- One and a half cup of almond milk
- Quarter teaspoon of sea salt
- Half teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Step by step guide:
- Combine all ingredients save for the cocoa powder in a bowl. Whisk vigorously so that all ingredients will be well-integrated. Allow it to sit in the fridge overnight.
- Add this to a blender. Blend it until it is smooth and creamy. You can then add the maple syrup or even dates to sweeten the pudding.
- If you are not blending it, simply sweeten the pudding to taste by adding maple syrup.
- You can then serve the pudding chilled and topped with fruits or granola.
You can keep the leftovers in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh and safe for consumption for up to 3 days.
We all know how stressful mornings can be as we need to help our kids prepare for school and cook up breakfast for the rest of the family. During those mornings when you don’t have the time to cook, consider whipping up this chia seeds with blueberries chocolate pudding.
Not only is this pudding very easy to prepare; it is also packed with nutrients that can give you and the rest of the family the energy needed to last the day. Plus it is so delicious that even picky kids will love it.